Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Red Polka- Dot Bowtie

Sundays, too, my father got up early
Sweet blueberry pancakes awoken us from our slumber
Firmly pressed pinned striped suits awaited
I hated wearing red polka dot bow ties
Unyielding baritone voice from mother sought direction
To prevent blistering anger my brother and I listened 
Father was free from verbal assassinations 
His callous mindset built monuments of weariness
Mother never questioned his motives
Not in front of my brother and I at least
"How was service?" (He would say..)
"Great!!!" (My nonchalant response)
"You look like a man in your bow tie!!" (Father replied)
I guess I have to be because you’re never there (confused thoughts)
My father was idol, my inspiration, my everything
It didn’t matter, I didn’t know him
All I remembered was the same remark he made about my bow tie
The red polka dots made me feel like the man I never knew
I took the bow tie off and put it back in the drawer
I don’t want to wear that damn bow tie anymore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment